Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Scenarios, I get it now

Played another Vassal game today - was trying out pSev with models I currently own.

I played pSev, Guardian, Reckoner, min Choir, max Knight Exemplar Errant + UA, Knight Exemplar, KE Seneschal x2, Wracks.

He had Magnus, two renegades, a mule, 2x Halberdiers, and Croe's cuttthroats.

Turn one, I ran everyone forward but the KEE (who advanced, shot, and came up short). Sevvy put up Def. Ward on the KEE, Eye on himself, and Vision on the Guardian. He bushwhacked at the KEE with Croe's (who had snipe), saw they were 14/18 and then retreated everything back.

I scratched my head and on Turn 2 just kinda moved things around to see what he was going to do. He retreated again on turn 2. I said to myself "Well this is lame and uninteresting, might as well run forward or he will just do a bunch of moving around." Honestly, I was a little ticked - it was shaping up to be boring.

So everyone ran up on my side. He had hit the back wall so pushed halberdiers out on either side with the jacks and Magnus in the middle. Cutthroats moved to some woods and took some shots at the KEE. Snipe went on the Mule (who is now shooting 18" with arcing fire). Both the renegades fired their one rocket each, mule fired his - wiped out some KEE and KE.

My jacks had been running up the sides - Guardian finally in a position to arc A2A on the cutthroats - killed a few. KEE killed a couple of infantry here and there, and everything else moved up. Mule shot again (sevvy took some damage). He fired, moved infantry around and feated.

I moved up, cleared some infantry and healed Sevvy some. And then made a critical mistake - I trampled out my Guardian (who had been behind a little bit of forest) past a cutthroat. This put me out of range to arc spells - I thought I would be able to go closer, but was farther in the forest than I expected. Should have just ran - then I could have pumped 3 incinerates into a no-focus Magnus. Bad positioning on my part. End my turn. He shot with his mule, moved the renegade up and makes my Reckoner stationary with an arced spell. One flank of halberds runs to swarm the Reckoner and threaten behind Sevvy. Other halberds charge some KE/KEE just being kinda annoying on them and killing a few.

I went, made some charges/attacks with the KE/KEE doing not much. KEE Seneschal charges the renegade, deals some nasty damage and combo-smites him. The plan was to have him fly back and hit Magnus, but he barely touched the Mule and thus fell short of Magnus. Other KEE charged the other renegade - did some nasty damage and combo-smited him away. Guardian is swarmed by a few infantry, and thus can't move to get LoS on Magnus, but kills everyone around him. Reckoner tramples through the halberds behind Sevvy killing most of them (but there are a couple still threatening Sevvy). Sevvy then cycles def. ward on himself dropping eye. His turn, Mule fully boosted lands right on Sevvy dealing exactly 10 (when he had 10 hit boxes left).

Game over. I was too spread out at that point to effectively block LoS to Sevvy.

It ended up being more interesting than I thought it was going to be, but I understand scenarios now (kill box is all I have played and when I played it I thought "We are going to end up fighting in this box anyway, this is kinda silly"). Now I get it. My opponent had a good strategy - he forced his opponent (me) to come and fight him on his terms. Of course, had I not said "This is boring" I could have sat on my side waiting turns out as well.

All in all a fun game and I learned that choir boys make great LoS blockers when arcing fire is an issue, but they also die fast.

MVP of the game - the KE Sennys. Once they got to the target, two Pow 11 +2 (fury) +1 (eye) hitting at Mat 8 +1 (eye) with combo-smite...was awesome to see. I was hoping to test and see exactly how long they would live though if there was any kind of focused fire on them, alas - will have to happen in a later game. They are a seriously potent melee threat though.

Somewhere in there I feated, but I can't exactly remember when - I think it was right before I was trying to set up the "3 Incinerates" move that failed.

My first real game with Sevvy - and I like the old man of Menoth. I wish I had been able to make more use of his spells, but Eye of Menoth with an infantry-heavy army was brutal. Since I was the only one closing distance, though, I took too much damage on the way in and got too spread out.

No comments:

Post a Comment